Above: Video of Ishmael performing his poem, "Daydreaming at the Voting Booth"
Last week, when we aired our Live Orange Broadcast Episode, we had the pleasure of having New York City's youth poet laureate Ishmael Islam as our guest. During the episode, he mentioned a few book recommendations he had for educators interested in teaching spoken word poetry in the classroom. Here below is his complete list, which we are happy to share with our LitWorld community:
- Teeth by Aracelis Girmay
- Kingdom Animalia by Aracelis Girmay
- Making Ideas Happen by Scott Belsky
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
- Black Boy by Richard Wright
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- The Twentieth Century by Howard Zinn
- Homegirls and Hand Grenades by Sonia Sanchez
- Neon Vernacular by Yusef Komunyakaa
To learn more about Ishmael, follow him on Twitter on @IshEye. Thanks again to Ishmael for being our first Live Orange guest of the year!