The LitCamp movement is extraordinary and growing every day. Alongside partners all over the world, we have reinvented summer school. Gone is the notion of remediation and marginalization and instead every child is a super hero in reading. Families are reporting that kids want to read when they go home--they are counting down the days till next summer.
Teachers are, of course, being incredibly inventive and creating a "camp" theme in their classrooms with tents, campfires, props, and costumes!
In partnership with Scholastic, LitCamp has proven to be a sustainable force for good in classrooms, incorporating best practices for social-emotional development and elements of play to encourage children to fall in love with reading.
The magic of LitCamp is spreading like wildfire--we've more than doubled the reach of 2016 and have reached over 135,000 kids across the U.S. You don't have to take our word for it. Check out the links below to see the teachers, parents, and school officials who agree!
- Jamestown Public Schools, Jamestown PROMISE Fund Needs Your Help to Meet Goal of Building Community of Successful & Enthusiastic Readers, Jamestown, NY, April 20, 2017
- The Post-Journal, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Jamestown, NY, April 22, 2017
- The Post-Journal, Jamestown Public Schools To Expand Summer LitCamp Program, Jamestown, NY, May 7, 2017
- The Herald Sun, Summer reading: It schools the mind, New York, NY, May 24, 2017
- The Daily Gazette, In Rochester and Providence, cities push literacy, Schenectady, NY, June 12, 2017
- Indiana Gazette Online, Community church events planned, Indiana, PA, June 17, 2017
- Ottumwa Courier, Cardinal starts new summer reading camp, Ottumwa, IA, June 19, 2017
- El Paso Independent School District, Students "camp out" for math and literacy at Zach White, El Paso, TX, June 22, 2017
- State Gazette, Dyer County Museum hosts Dyersburg Primary School students, Dyersburg, TN, June 25, 2017
- The Jena Times, Reading Camp proving very successful, Jena, LA, June 26, 2017
- Williston Herald, Learning that doesn’t flummox, Williston, ND, June 30, 2017
- State Gazette, DPS wraps up ‘Reading Rocks LitCamp’, Dyersburg, TN, July 6, 2017
- Chicago Tribune, Students work on literacy during summer Lit Camp at Arlington Heights School District 25, Chicago, IL, July 7, 2017
- Jamestown Public Schools, JPS's Summer LitCamp Begins at Ring & Love Elementary Schools!, Jamestown, NY, July 7, 2017
- WNYT-TV, Schenectady City School District kicks off Summer Enrichment Program, Albany, NY, July 12, 2017
- We Read Big, LitCamp: Southbridge’s Summer Literacy Enrichment Experience, Southbridge, MA, July 20, 2017
- LIHerald.com, For the love of reading: Students take part in a variety of summer programs, Garden City, NY, July 27, 2017
- New Haven Register, Summer school reading program takes New Haven students to camp, New Haven, CT, July 30, 2017
- SCNOW, Summer camp helps students improve reading confidence, Florence, SC, July 31, 2017
- Times Union, Can summer school be fun? These Schenectady kids say 'yes', Schenectady, NY, August 4, 2017